Shop All Softshell ProductsShow All
- Show All
A soft shell jacket is an extremely versatile piece of clothing characterized by its warmth and breathability. No matter if you are looking for an everyday jacket or light protection during a family hike, this style is a great option!
In this article, we will break down what soft shell jackets are used for and compare and contrast them with hard shell jackets. You’ll be confident the next time you pack for your child’s outdoor adventure!
What Are Soft Shell Jackets Used For?
Soft shell outfits are perfect for kids on the move. The soft, flexible material is comfortable but tough and can be worn year-round. Wind and waterproof protection make softshell products perfect for any weather, too. Versatility is where soft shell really shines, making your life easier and your kids more comfortable.
Hard Shell vs Soft Shell Jackets
Still unsure if soft shell is the way to go? It’s important to consider the activities you enjoy along with your style and material preference. Both soft and hard shells are beneficial in their own way.
Pros of Hard Shell Jackets
- Well suited for harsh weather conditions
- Lightweight and easier to pack than soft shell jackets
- Usually, come with a hood
- Great for long-duration outdoor activities in the rain or snow such as hiking, camping, etc.
Cons of Hard Shell Jackets
- Less breathable than soft shells
- Not very stretchy and can limit your range of motion
- Noisy material
Pros of Soft Shell Jackets
- Stretchy, flexible, and soft
- Breathability helps prevent moisture build-up during physical activity
- Easy to move around in
- Can be worn as an everyday jacket
- Great for outdoor activities on cool, dry days
Cons of Soft Shell Jackets
- Not as protective or durable in wet, windy conditions
- Usually, come without an attached hood
- Hard to pack in a small space
Why Choose Reima’s Soft Shell Jackets?
Our kids' light jackets , like the Vantti , have windproof, breathable surface material that repels both dirt and water. The inside is lined with either jersey or fleece, which is light but warm. These soft shell jackets don’t have taped seams , but they do have a waterproof and breathable membrane in between the inner and outer layers. To cut down on washing and keep clothing clean longer, softshell products also have a non-toxic, fluorocarbon-free durable dirt- and water-repellent finish (DWR).
Shop Soft Shell Products at Reima!
The last thing you want to slow your family bonding time down is the clothes on your back. Make sure you have your kids covered for the next hike and stock up on the best soft shell products Reima has to offer! From light jackets to soft shell pants , our selection of breathable, flexible products will be with you every step of the way!